How to create a Matter Template.
Matter Templates make it easy to automate your workflow. You can implement Matter Templates when you first create a Matter, or, apply Matter Templates to an existing Matter.
The following instructions show you how to create a Matter Template to layer onto an existing Matter.
1. Select 'Tools' from the left-hand navigation panel.
2. Then, select 'Manage Matter Templates'.
3. Select the '+' icon to create a new Matter Template.
4. Enter the 'Template Name', 'Description', and 'Matter Name'.
You will have the ability to OVERWRITE existing Matter Data when you apply a template. You will be able to choose which items to over write when Matter Templates are applied, and confirmation will be required before applying the details of a Matter Template to an existing Matter.
5. Determine if the Matter Template will override existing billing settings
You have the option to overwrite existing Matter descriptions, and override existing Matter settings when you apply a template to Matter:
- 'Leave default' will not override existing settings once you apply the template to Matter.
- Selecting an additional option will reset that Matter option.
For example: If you select the 'Expires in' option and fill in an expiration date, once the template has been applied to the Matter, an expiration date will be applied.
6. Select '+ Additional Data' to apply Matter and Custom Field data.
Apply data and relationship fields to this section, as needed.
Leaving the 'enter contact name' field blank will give you the opportunity to enter custom data after you apply the template.
Adding data to the 'enter contact name' field will populate all your Matters with the specified contact name.
Clicking '+ Add Another' will give you the ability to add another custom field.
7. Select 'Add Event' to add an Event to your Matter Template workflow.
a. Add an 'Event Name'.
b. Toggle 'Milestone' to designate a parent Event from which you can create a cascade of related dependent Events.
'Milestone' Events become reference Events from which you can create a cascade of dependent 'child' Events. The original 'milestone' Event is the date the Matter is created.
c. Determine if this Event will be linked to the 'Matter Open Date' or a previously created milestone.
d. Fill in relevant Event details, making sure to complete required fields.
e. Add a user and automatically bill time by selecting "Bill".
f. Select 'Add Event to Template' to add the Event to your template workflow.
As you create multiple Events and Tasks, don't forget to 'Add Event to Template' or 'Add Task to Template' to save the item to your workflow.
g. View the Event in the 'Template Activities' section.
8. Select 'Add Task' to add a Task to your Matter Template workflow.
a. Add a 'Title'.
b. Fill in relevant details, making sure to complete required fields. Toggle the 'Milestone' indicator, if applicable.
Designate Task as a 'milestone', or designate a milestone anchor for due dates, as needed.
c. Click 'Add Task to Template' to save the Task to your workflow.
d. View the task in the 'Template Activities' section.
9. Create additional Events and Tasks, as needed.
10. Finally, select 'Save Template'.
You MUST save your template after creating your series of Tasks and Events or none of the items you created will be retained.
11. View the completed Matter Template in the 'Matter Template Listing' section.
Now that you've created your Matter Template you can apply your Matter Template to an existing Matter or apply it to a brand new matter!
Need more help? Contact our Award-Winning Support Team at (888) 432-1529 or [email protected]