What is the difference between a pre-bill and a invoice?
A Pre-Bill is like a print-preview of an Invoice; it is a preview of what the invoice document would look like if it were run as an Invoice.
When an invoice is created:
- When an Invoice is created, all specified billable activity is moved from 'pending invoicing' status, and stamped as 'invoiced'.
- A debit is created in the matter ledger and in the client trust Ledger (where applicable)
- An invoice is created with a unique invoice number assigned to it
- A copy of the Invoice is automatically stored in the respective matter documents section
When a pre-bill is created:
- A document is automatically generated and downloaded to your computer's downloads folder
- The pre-bill document is marked as a pre-bill, with all specified billable activity represented in invoice-format
- No debit is created in the matter ledger, nor in the client trust ledger (where applicable)
- There is NO copy of the pre-bill stored in matter documents, or on Rocket Matter for reference
- You can open and review the downloaded pre-bill, and then save it to a discrete location on your computer, or upload it to your matter documents section separately if you wish
- Pre-bills can be run multiple times, without creating a debit in Rocket Matter.
Reasons to run a Pre-bill:
1. Law firms often run pre-bills before invoices to review billable activity thoroughly before an invoice is run.
2. Pre-bills are often run when a client or a court requires a full history of billable activity generated on a Matter. To create a document with the complete billable activity history, leave the "date range" field blank and uncheck "exclude all previously invoiced activity", If you run this pre-bill in excel format, you will create an excel spreadsheet which simply lists all of your billable activity, and is not in invoice-format.
3. You can check for changes made to an invoice Template or a client's record by running a pre-bill
Both Invoices and Pre-bills can be generated in batches by using Batch Billing.
Need more help?
Contact our Award-Winning Support Team at (888) 432-1529 or email@example.com