How to insert a client custom field into a document template
Document Templates are used to create custom documents in Rocket Matter. Templates are created as Word documents and populated with either standard Rocket Matter 'document merge fields', or with custom Rocket Matter 'document merge fields'. Rocket Matter document merge field lists can be downloaded from the Tools section.
Before getting started, be sure to create the client custom fields for a single matter or for all matters.
Need help creating a client custom field?
Single Matter: How to add a Client Custom Fields for a single matter.
- This field will appear on the contact record and matter dashboard.
All Matters: How to add a Contact and Matter Custom Field for all matters.
- This field will appear on the matter dashboard for all existing matters and for all new matters.
1. Navigate to the matter dashboard and insert the value for the client custom field. Be sure to save your changes.
If there are no values, the text will appear blank on the document template.
2. Navigate to your Tools section, and click 'Document Templates'.
3. You can download and use the existing sample document templates in your account to work from, or create your own Template from scratch from a Word document.
4. Download the list of available 'document merge fields' by clicking 'MergeFieldsList.docx.'
MergeFieldsList.docx contains pre-set merge fields which you can insert into your Document Template.
Please note that 'document merge fields' are different than 'invoice merge fields'. 'Document merge fields' and 'invoice merge fields' are *not* interchangeable.
TIP: View your blank Word document next to the merge field list.
5. Select all of the text "«Client.Custom.MyField»" and right-click to copy the text.
6. Paste the merge field into your document template.
When working with merge fields, confirm that you've pasted a merge field, and not static text, by right-clicking and viewing the 'Toggle Field Codes' option. Only true merge fields will have the Toggle option appear in the right-click menu.
7. To keep the merge field code and match the existing text font, click on the clipboard and select 'Match Destination Formatting'.
7. While your cursor is inside the gray merge field area, right click to 'Toggle Field Codes'.
8. You'll see the merge field expand.
9. After the period, insert the client custom field value where the text reads 'MyField'. If the field name is two or more words, do not insert a space in between the words.
For example: Maiden Name should be written Maiden Name.