How do I create a custom merge field for my document templates (matters).
Custom mergefields can be created on a matter-by-matter basis and implemented for just one matter, or custom mergfields can be implemented globally and applied to all your matters Custom mergefields can be either a 'Contact'-type mergefield (person-releated info), or a 'Data'-type (thing-related info).
This FAQ addresses how to create an individual custom mergefield to be applied to just one matter.
1. Navigate to the Matter Dashboard and scroll down to see the "Related Contacts" and 'Data' sections.
3. Determine whether you would like to add a 'Custom Related Contact' field, or a 'Custom Data' field.
4. Click "add another".
7. View custom fields and data in 'Related Contacts' and 'Data'.
Examples of Custom Mergefield Names:
- The mergefield for the 'contacts custom role' field 'Police Officer' would be:
< Matter.Role.PoliceOfficer >
- The mergefield for the 'custom data' field 'Courthouse' would be:
< Matter.Custom.Courthouse >
- If you are adding your own:
< Matter.Custom.MyField >
- Mergefields should have no spaces. i.e. The 'Police Officer' role is represented as Matter.Role.PoliceOfficer in the mergefield.
- When creating a Custom Mergefield, after clicking right clicking the merge field, and selecting"Toggle field codes" to open the merge field, be sure to update the field with the custom field name, and then close the field by selecting "update field".
Need more help?
Contact our Award-Winning Support Team at (888) 432-1529 or firstname.lastname@example.org.