How to setup and bill in LEDES1998B format
LEDES1998B (Legal Electronic Data Exchange Standard) is a commonly used billing convention used in legal electronic billing. Once LEDES1998B billing is enabled in Rocket Matter, 'Timekeeper IDs' need to be assigned to each Rocket Matter User, and 'Claim Number' needs to be assigned for each Matter billed in LEDES format. Once Timekeeper and Claim numbers are set, each Time Entry is assigned a 'Billing Code'/'Task Code', and each Cost Entry can be assigned an 'Expense Code'.
4. Set your Firm Id, and click "Save".
5. Set Timekeeper Id(s)
a. Click "Manage Users".
Each Rocket Matter User is considered a Timekeeper for LEDES1998 Billing. By default, ALL USERS ARE ASSIGNED 'Partner/PT" status. You'll need to change each Timekeeper's ID if they have a different LEDES User ID Status.
6. Set "Claim Number" for each Matter.
7. Add a 'Task Code'/'Activity Code' or 'Expense Code' for all relevant billable activity
- LEDES Time Entries have additional 'Task Code' and 'Activity Code' fields.
- LEDES Cost Entries have an additional 'Expense Code' field.
- While LEDES is enabled in your system, the 'Task Code'/'Activity Code' and 'Expense Code' options appear in ALL "+ Add Expense or Time" screens, regardless of whether you are billing in LEDES format for that matter. You may ignote these extra fields, or turn off the LEDES option in Settings when you finish billing your LEDES Matter. option appears when you "+ Add Expense or Time"
b. Add Billing details, including 'Task Code'/'Activity Code' or 'Expense Code' where relevant. Click "OK".
8. Run your Invoice in LEDES1998B Format.
When you run a LEDES You MUST specify a Start Date to ensure that the LEDES1998B invoice will accepted by your client:
b. Select 'Start Date' and 'End Date'. Review your Billable Activity and click "Invoice".
c. Select "Next >", and walk through the rest of your invoicing options.
9. Click on the invoice link to download the Invoice.
10. The invoice is created in .dat format, and can be viewed in TextEdit (Mac) or Notebook (PC).
- The .dat file can be copied from the text editor, and pasted into Microsoft Excel for further review and editing.
- LEDES invoices can be created in batches by walking through Batch Billing, and selecting "LEDES1998B" as your file format.
Need more help?
Contact our Award-Winning Support Team at (888) 432-1529 or firstname.lastname@example.org